12/14/2004

Available All The Time (in Dog Years)

I'm sure you've heard the phrase '24x7' - A term that started out with telecomm and network carriers is now being used everywhere. For example: Little Timmy Dorfo on his skateboard to his friends, "Dudes, this skate park is awesome! I could flip and grind here 24-7!"

This is all fine with me, but what bothers me is that when people (corporate or otherwise) try and take it to the next level. They want to say they are available every day, all day, all year long, so they say 24x7x365. For example: Big Steve Studly to his new squeeze, "Baby, I'm here for you 24x7x365."

But if you do the math, isn't that seven years? I don't think Big Steve realizes the committment he just made. Is everyone is trying to say they're available all year long even if you're using dog years? Does Fido even care about telecomm, skateboards, or anything other than food and another dog's ass?

SO let's all be more accurate and say either 24x7x52 or 24x365. That's my opinion anyway.