3/22/2006

Scientology and South Park

There is a big stink about the South Park episode on YouTube that pokes fun of Scientology.

Apparently long time voice contributor Isaac Hayes even quit (he's the chef) over the writers' religious intolerance. Of course, Hayes didn't mind when the show made fun of Jews and Christians.

I think South Park is right on in every aspect that they made fun of, here are the highlights:

  • Scientology is a religion
  • It attracts a lot of celebrities
  • It was founded by a (mediocre) Science Fiction writer
  • Some of the beliefs are so ridiculous, it's hard to believe that anyone truly believes it
  • Only those with moola ($) can be in the "church" to any great extent

Anyway - I am not sure who paid who in congress to get religious status, but here is the thing -


Scientology is not a F***ing Religion!


Religion is based on Faith. Science is for those things that can be measured, and Religion is for those things that cannot be measured. I read Dianetics as a teenager; it was interesting, and although I found holes in the logic even then, I would never have even considered it a religious matter. It barely makes philosophy.

Also, what religion worth it's salt only allows those who can "afford" to join be a member? I realize the Catholic church always has the collection plate out, and speaks of tithing, but you won't get kicked out or be prevented from receiving sacrements if you are "poor".

First of all, I support the right to free speech, but I am not so insensitive that I would purposefully trash someone else's religion - However, I feel no remorse by writing this post. In fact, I find the whole thing kind of funny "Hey look at the kooky celebrities wasting their millions on that crap!"

Just think, if they were practicing a "real religion" they could be donating that money to the poor, starting non-profit organizations, or other worthy endeavors. Just look at Oprah and Jimmy Carter and other intelligent people with money.

I also want to announce that I am starting the Church of Miketology (don't smile, this is serious) because I have very strong beliefs that I need to share, and because I can use the tax break and the extra cash. I even published a science fiction article once! Any celebrities got some free cash?

Ads by AdGenta.com