7/31/2006

What really matters

This weekend was distressing. My son wiped out on his bike and was bloody all over and chipped his tooth. I felt terrible for him - whenever he gets hurt, I feel the pain worse (it's true). I had a stomach ache. I did my best to comfort him and clean his wounds -- and in true kid fashion, he was playing kickball within the hour. It bothered me long after he stopped thinking about it. Being a parent is tough.

Then I read about the missles that killed all the children in Lebanon, and the young soldiers killed in Iraq (yes, they are somebody's kids too) - and I feel a little foolish. No matter how many bruises, chips, and even broken bones a kid gets - it's a lot better than worrying about a bomb landing in your living room or being shot at...

I hope those people over there can get their act together.