8/02/2003

The Learning Disabled Channel

RANT ALERT! I used to like the Discovery Channel and TLC, but now I feel that they have left their original reason-for-existence behind, and have become part of the general "mush" that is television. They had a show that 'hit it big'...you know the one...Trading Spaces. Don't get me wrong, I even like the show, but do they EVER show anything else now!?! In years gone by, I would be able to turn on either of these channels and learn something new and interesting: how things work, ancient history, science, sociology, etc. Now, I learn how Joe's neighbor will react to him painting their den pink...give me a break. And all that you see on the other channel is Junkard Wars. Folks at TLC/Discovery please note, there is such a thing as too much of a good thing!! I think they are just trying to ride the "reality TV" wave and get higher ratings--which I assume has worked--but at what cost? I no longer watch these channels, and I miss their old incarnations. It's a shame really.