2/01/2006

Eye Doctors and Aging

Here is a tip for you - Never go to an eye doctor that is a lot younger than you.

It was traumatic enough this year turning 39+1 (that's how I say it), but having to get my eyes checked was a real bummer. I have always had 20/20+ vision, so when I started having trouble seeing small print it was just one more reminder of how things were starting to "wear out."

So I went to the eye doctor. This dude must've still been in college or something. The absolute oldest he could be was 30 - but he looked even younger. After running some tests on me, he started telling me that everything looked OK, but my eyes muscle reaction time was slowing down because I'm getting older. "We're all getting older dufus!" (I said to myself.)

Then he goes into more details about the effects of age on the eyeball, etc. I guess all of this could be dealt with more easily if the guy telling it to me was a grandfatherly bespectacled gentleman who I could--at least in my mind--feel his empathy. When the doctor is young and has no glasses or contacts and says all of this with a wry smile -- well, maybe I am getting "older", but at least appeal to my vanity!

Obviously this all from too much computer time (??) as I sit here with my new Adidas frames and glasses typing at the computer. I'm sure I am in for more depressing shocks as other parts start wearing out and stop obeying commands my brain gives them (gasp!) - So when you hear someone say that "60 is the new 40" or something stupid like that, remember that you never hear anyone say "50 is the new 25." 'Cause it ain't gonna happen.