1/05/2005

Pop Tarts for Bitter People

Have Pop-Tarts always had so much sugar? I guess when I was a kid I didn't notice, or care. Essentially, I like the ones without the frosting on the top, or worst case, the ones with the little squiggly frosting lines...I don't want the entire top coated with a layer of thick, hard sugar frosting--it's just too much! Between the sugar on the inside, the sugar in the crust, and then the sugar coating on top (not to mention the sugar in my coffee) there is enough dextrose/sucrose/corn-syrup in this one breakfast treat to even make Scrooge loveable and sweet ('The Ghost of Christmas Breakfast?')

The problem--as I see it--is that they don't offer every flavor in all of the frosting variations. My favorite flavor is Cherry. The problem is you cannot find Cherry Pop-Tarts without frosting on the outside (go ahead and try - I dare you). So I always wind up getting strawberry, which does have a no frosting variation...but I really wanted Cherry! I guess I can always learn to drink my coffee black.