1/23/2006

Kids Need to Play Outside! (aka Die SpongeBob!)

I hate starting off a post like this, it makes me seem old, and maybe I am, BUT --

When I was a kid...
I remember spending most of the day outside (weather permitting). I didn't want to be inside, I wanted to go outside and ride my bike, hang with my friends, or just hit a ball around, or burn ants.

I remember playing wiffle ball in the street, and my mother having to scream my name every night to come eat dinner, and I would always be late. It would be dark when I got home, and I would get in trouble, and I would say "But Mom, we were winning!"

Granted, we only had 6 channels on the TV, and not much good programming anyway. But even when we were inside, my brother and I would play with our toys, beat each other up, and generally have a good time.

Today kids have too many options inside:
- Video Games
- Cartoon Network
- Nickelodeon (specifically SpongeBob)
- The Internet (more games, chat, etc.)

Sometimes I'll kick my son out of the house if it's nice just to get some fresh air. What does he do outside? Sits and plays his gameboy.
Is it any wonder our kids are FAT!?

Every once in a while I'll cajole him into playing catch or something. It only takes about fifteen minutes and he says he's tired! Now I'm not really old or anything, but I should be tired WAY before a young kid is! I told him I used to play baseball ALL DAY without stopping for lunch.

What did he have to say to that on this particularly beautiful 70 degree day?
"Can I go watch Sponge Bob?"