10/17/2003

Error Message Evolution

I remember back in the first days of home computers (not that long ago really), you would get error messages like this:
Fatal: register 0x0032 set to 0000 AF05

These fossil error messages can still be seen in some museums, on the Galapagos Islands, and every once in a while in a Microsoft error message. However, end-users told programmers to please print error messages in English. So the messages evolved into:
Fatal: register 0x0032 set to 0000 AF05 (Please call your vendor)

So after spending more than the GDP of a small nation on software and tech support, the average end-user said, "When I said English, I meant the English that non-geeks speak--and don't use any numbers if possible"
So here I sit at my computer over the past week looking at error messages like these:
"Asynchronous, fatal metadata rejection"
"Immediate, extraneous operation failure"
"Invalid, generic topology underflow"
"Undetermined, dereferenced framing rejection"
"Redundant, virtual authentication stackdump"


I'm almost sorry that we asked. So I call tech support and told them the error message; I didn't hear anything on the other end for a while so I said 'Hello?', and she said 'Hold on I'm looking up your error message number.'

Finally, I would like to end with a smart-A$$ remark which is that ....
Fatal: blog dump, overflow, 0x0045 AE44, non-recursive ***